Summer Music Camps
While we know summer is a chance to decompress and enjoy time off, there is an abundance of opportunities for students to improve their music skills. There are day camps that are closer to Plano/Murphy and also camps on college campuses which offer dorm room housing for an entire week.
College camps offer students a chance to live on campus, attend rehearsals, sectionals, masterclasses, and electives all depending on the camp. Students that earn All-Area and All-State distinction may qualify for reduced tuition. We encourage you to check out the following possibilities for Music Camps all over the state of Texas:
We are most associated with the Texas Tech University Band & Orchestra Camp https://www.depts.ttu.edu/music/ttuboc/
I’ve seen this from the perspective of a camper, college worker, and as teaching staff. We like this camp because it offers the most amount of electives (chamber ensembles and choirs, leadership, jazz, theory, conducting, reed working, etc) and the most amount of social activities (talent show, dances, beach volleyball, movie nights).
We’ve had students in previous years attend these camps:
- Baylor https://www.baylor.edu/busmc/
- Texas A&M Commerce https://www.tamuc.edu/dept-of-music/summer-camps/
- TCU https://finearts.tcu.edu/music/events-and-programs/summer-camps/
- SFA https://www.sfasu.edu/music/outreach/band-camp
- Many major Texas colleges and universities offer a band camp. If you’re interested in that particular school, it would be a great opportunity to check out the campus, live the dorm life, and maybe even take a lesson with a college professor.
There is also a variety of DFW Area camps just for specific instruments:
- Flute Fire: https://flootfire.com/
- Oboes & Bassoons: https://bocalmajority.com/2023-dates-and-locations/
- Clearly Clarinet Camp: https://bocalmajority.com/clearly-clarinet-camp-by-bocal-majority/
- Young Saxophonists’ Institute: https://www.ysicamps.com/
- Blast of Brass at Texas A&M Commerce: http://www.blastofbrass.com/
- Horn Fest: contact Chris Dulin at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Festival of Trombones: https://trombonefest.com/
- North Texas Low Brass Camp: https://www.northtexaslowbrasscamp.com/2023-summer-camp.html
Colliln College also hosts a jazz camp:
Collin College All-Star Jazz Camp https://epay.collin.edu/C20053_ustores/web/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCTID=5021
The MHS Band Directors are available to answer any questions you may have about summer music camps.
- Wednesday, May 31
- Monday, July 17
- Tuesday, July 18
- Wednesday, July 19
- Thursday, July 20
- Saturday, July 22
- Monday, July 24
- Tuesday, July 25
- Wednesday, July 26
- Thursday, July 27